Saturday, May 3, 2008

Here I am


Dolly
oil, egg tempera, acrylic on canvas (linen)
60 x 45 cm

She´s not as scary as before. I´ve changed her, because I didn´t like the troublesome eyes she had at a former stage. Now I can live with her, I even like her a little bit.
Why Dolly? Well, my first intention was a doll. This Dolly-doll has spooked inside my head for quite a while. I don´t like dolls, never have, even as a child I preferred cars and such things. Dolls where scary, especially at night. I´ve always had the image of some living individual that stared with wide open eyes and whispered.
Later I´ve read that dolls symbolized other people and were used for magic. They weren´t toys.
Hmmmm ... that was a good explanation for me. For me dolls weren´t toys either.
So I had to paint something like a doll even she isn´t a normal doll. And she had to look a little run-down, used. Whatever.

No comments: